Environmentally friendly party bag favours that won’t cost the earth
Feeling stuck for how to think green with party bag fillers? Perhaps you’re after creative alternatives to the standard party bags fillers of lollies or cheap toys that last a second and add to the landfill waste? When there are up to 20 children coming to the party, the party bag favours can unexpectantly add up. Eco friendly favours that won’t cost the earth, both environmentally and budget wise are the ideal. Discover how these three levels of eco friendly greenness – good, very good and great – are filled with creative party bag favour alternatives…with a twist at the end.
Good Eco Friendly Party Bag Fillers
Good, eco friendly party bag fillers are the start of thinking and being more sustainable. Products that are reusable, possibly homemade, are useful and generally a higher quality than the standard, traditional party bag fillers are examples of good eco friendly favours.
Not all thankyou goodies need to go in a party bag, such as a large bubble wand. Removing the need for a party bag increases the eco friendliness of the thank you gift. If you would like a party bag to hold the goodies, consider using:
- Brown kraft paper cones,
- White or brown paper party bags
- Make your own bags styled from newspaper
- Handmade oilcloth pots
Ideas for alternative party bag fillers:
- Home made, non-toxic playdough – It’s an absolute breeze to make! I’ve made this recipe from McKenzies for 20 years (as a preschool teacher) and it works every time. It’s even nicer when mixed in the bread maker on the pizza dough setting. Choose to leave the playdough it’s natural white colour, or add some eco friendly glitter (this is a sparkly winner for children) or natural food colouring. Boost your eco friendliness by wrapping individual portions of playdough in beeswax food wraps. Complete the playdough fun with a small wooden rolling pin and a cookie cutter. This is a brilliant thankyou gift for 3 to 6 year olds.
- Stainless steel metal drinking straws
- Large bubble wands – even though these are made from plastic, they are an excellent choice as a reusable wand, or even light sabre! Once the bubble wand is empty, either make your own bubble mix (from The Spruce Crafts and Red Ted Art) and or fill it again from a jumbo container of bubble mix.
- A quality book
- A bath toy – Children can enjoy their party favour every night! This is an ideal party bag filler for 2-4 year olds.
- Kids patterned socks
Very Good Eco Friendly Party Bag Fillers
The next eco friendly step in sustainable party bag favour ideas is planning an activity for the kids to make and create at the party. Their completed mini project can then become the thank you gift.
Kids and parents love this kind of eco friendly party bag idea. It’s great for the kids as they are naturally entertained at your party. Looking after or using their created product later at home from becomes a meaningful thank you token of appreciation. Parents love this kind of thankyou gift, as it avoids the cheapie landfill products that never get played with and there is no food involved. This is now your eco-friendly and allergy friendly style of party bag favour.
Examples of fun activities that involve the kids at their birthday party include:
- Plant a seedling in a small terracotta potplant – the children can decorate the pot plants first using Sharpie oil based paint markers, add soil mix and plant the seedling.
- Decorating their own party bags at the start of the party – as the party games are played, kids pop their party game prizes in their own bags. Read more with Party Bags with Personality to discover how to make this activity work with young children.
- Beading or making small pieces of jewellery – 5 year olds and up love this finer detail creating.
- Slime or potions making – excellent choice for a Harry Potter or science party.
Food consumables that aren’t lollies and are preferably homemade, are a fantastic eco friendly party bag filler. Examples of food that works for a party thankyou bag are:
- Popcorn in a popcorn maker machine
- Choc dipped dried apricots
- Homemade biscuits or slice – if you’re not quite up to making treaties but would like to support small Australian business, try Sweetly Baked Perth for cookies and Sweet Health who offers cookie mix in a jar. Both businesses deliver Australia wide.
Great Eco Friendly Party Bag Fillers
This simple, great eco friendly idea is one of the most sustainable and budget friendly – give a piece of the birthday cake from the party! This idea works in so many ways. The birthday cake is usually celebrated at the end of the party. By this time, the children may be full up from food enjoyed at the party. Share the piece by carefully wrapping in either a beeswax food wrap or other style of reusable wrap.
The Best Eco Friendly Party Bag Idea
I’ve save the best, 100% sustainable and eco friendly idea for last. The idea of giving no party bag at all!
It’s actually a really neat and unique idea that’s supported by many budget and eco friendly parents. It takes children by surprise when finding out there’s no party bag, which is primarily the norm these days. Saying the words “thank you” can be a powerful way to share thanks.
There is no steadfast rule about being eco friendly when it comes to party bag fillers. Finding the right balance between what you like in a party bag, then consider how you can make it a more sustainable party bag option. Consider these three levels of party bag eco friendliness to spark your own ideas. If you’re keen to throw an eco birthday party, then this blogpost by Green Living Mag is a great start.
As an eBay Partner, Amazon Associate and partner with other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Australian customer, sign up as an Amazon Prime member for free domestic delivery and free international delivery on eligible orders over $49. Click here to read more details.
As an eBay partner, I earn from qualifying purchases.